III John 1:4

"I have no greater joy that to hear that my children are walking in th truth." III John 1:4

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Changing a Child's Heart

Before I write any more on this blog, I want to stop & share my opinion on parenting & discipline in the home & classroom.  There are so many great parenting resources out there.  I will be keeping a list on one of my tabs as a resource to those of you looking to become better parents. I do suggest that teachers consider parenting resources as well.  I found them to be extremely helpful in shaping me as the "day" parent!

A few years ago, I went to a parenting seminar.  I went as a teacher looking to gain wisdom in helping me & the parents of my students since I had not been blessed with my own family yet.  I WAS BLOWN AWAY!  The seminar was hosted by Dr. Turansky & Joanne Miller of the National Center for Biblical Parenting. I bought up some of their family activity books, which have come in handy especially in the classroom.

When I became a parent myself, I read their book Parenting is Heart Work!  It is a simple book based on the idea that parenting is not merely changing behavior, but molding & shaping a child's heart to be more like Christ's.  You can read some reviews & information here. I do have to say that I enjoyed their seminars more than the book! The seminar was humorous, personal & so practical!  If you can set-up or attend one at your church, I definitely suggest it for all parents & teachers!

Another great book is Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp! I found this book be another great resource.  I think that this book is deeper than Parenting is Heart Work.  My opinion is that Shepherding A Child's Heart is a great group study, too. You can read reviews here.

I want to emphasize the premise of these two books: that your parenting or teaching objective should be to shape & mold your child or student's heart, NOT to just have well-behaved children! I hope that you be able to use any or all of my ideas that I write on this blog to focus on your child or student's heart that will impact their will & actions!

God Bless you in your journey to become better "potters" of the "clay" that God has placed in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment