III John 1:4

"I have no greater joy that to hear that my children are walking in th truth." III John 1:4

Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Caught: Respect

It’s Caught!


Respect should be optional, right? I mean if someone treats me disrespectfully then s/he doesn’t deserve respect! I’ll show them!


This is the world’s way of thinking about respect. God looks on respect in whole different way. Respect is showing someone is important by what you say and do. Romans 13:1, tells us that God places ALL those in authority & that we must submit to them. I Peter 2:17 (NIV) goes on to say “Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.” That means the unsaved husband, the obnoxious boss, the oppressive governmental official, the rude customer service representative, the insensitive lady at church, & the unloving father! From your authority (“honor the king”), to your peer (“the brotherhood of believers”), & then God himself!

I have to admit that this is one of the hardest characters for me to exhibit. When someone disrespects me or my family, I want to tell them what’s what. Unfortunately I was raised around some parental figures who thought of themselves as superior.  Everyone else was inferior & always out to get them! This idea caused so much unhappiness, loneliness, fear & rage.
I struggle with this in my marriage especially, mainly because he is a man who is my authority. I want it my way. I only want to give respect when it is given to me. This is NOT how God designed respect. Despite how I feel, what I want, or how my husband or daughter acts, I am responsible to God for how I react. “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men…” Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

David makes a great picture of undeserving respect in his relationship with King Saul. King Saul seeks to kill David. David has done nothing wrong, but he must flee his family to hide in caves. David has several opportunities to kill King Saul. One day King Saul enters David’s cave to relieve himself. David allows him to go unhurt, but cuts a piece of his robe. David emerges from the cave because he fears he has disrespected Saul. David bows down & says, “Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the LORD's anointed.' … look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion… May the LORD judge between you and me… my hand will not touch you” I Samuel 24:10-12 (NIV). King Saul was focused on himself, not what God would have him to do. He was jealous of David’s fame throughout Israel as a great leader on the battle field. King Saul was self-focused & selfish.
In order to teach your children respect, you must show your children how to be selfless & to look out for the needs of others. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” Philippians 2:3 (NIV) First, help them see the emotions of others. Then, help them see how they might meet the needs of others. This is no easy task, especially for a child that is under 5 or 6 years old.

During my first year of teaching, I had a very sweet, young girl in my class. Her name was Carson. Her parents were always concerned about their children noticing others’ needs. Carson was very mature in the area of respect.

One day, a boy in our class dropped his pencil box & one of the pieces broke off. This young boy was not very loving to others or very obedient in class, but she saw his need. The next day she came in all excited. She handed the boy a pencil box. She explained that she had it at home & thought he would like a new one.

I am not sure if this little boy remembers this act of kindness, but this moment is forever ingrained in my mind. Not many 5 year olds would think of others. In fact, most children can’t really get beyond what affects them until around age 7. This little moment reminds me that respect & selflessness can be taught, even before it can really be caught!

Do not copy & paste this section.  If you would like to pass this on or post it, just attach this website page. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment